Four nights in the wild

We’ve had the most blissful few days. Four days ago (really only four?), we drove north out of Wanaka, heading towards the Haast Pass to cross over to the West Coast. At the top of Lake Wanaka, we pulled into a Department of Conservation campsite to spend the night. Having stayed in well-groomed Holiday Parks for most of the winter, it was with a feeling of wonder that we stepped out of Liberty to explore our surroundings. The place was deserted apart from the birds, and we headed straight for the stony beach.IMG_6778 IMG_6725Without a breath of wind the water was glassy and the boys immediately settled into doing their things – Otis fishing with a perfect hooky stick he’d found, and Elliott just pottering and filling his gumboots with freezing cold water. It was one of those perfect evenings where everything makes sense about this journey. As the sun disappeared, Thomas and Otis collected up armloads of wood for the fire and I made our go-to dinner of bacon and cheesey pasta (with kale thrown in to pretend it’s anywhere near a balanced meal). No internet or cellphone coverage was a wonderful treat, and Otis stayed up to make a campfire with Thomas before being piled into bed smelling like an adventure.

IMG_6775The next morning brought with it a pretty blustery wind, but we decided to stay on another night in this perfect spot. Around the corner from the beach we’d explored the evening before is where Boundary Creek flows into the lake. The spit of land on which the campsite sits has been formed by the creek, and the whole beach is covered in mountains of driftwood. We got busy building a sort of shelter to protect us from the wind, and, being robbers as we were, were instructed to collect gold from the beach and put it in the special treasure shelf. Of course, we were rich by the end of the morning, and went back inside leaving most of the loot for other buccaneers.


Day three at Boundary Creek brought more campers, and after having a Chinese family and a French family through the bus for a look around and a play, we made friends with Oli and his mum Sarah who are over from Australia. My first glimpse of Oli out the window he was dressed as a pirate, and I knew this was going to be a good thing. As suspected, Otis and Oli clicked straightaway and have spent the last few days just enjoying being with another child, and sharing their fact-driven, detail-oriented natures. I loved chatting with Sarah – as it turned out, we seem to be pretty like-minded as well.


Sharing bread with (pirate) friends



Trying to figure out weaving. I need lessons.



On the fourth morning, we all packed up our things and said goodbye, refreshed and inspired by new friendships. Winter feels like it’s coming to an end and the West Coast is calling. It seems like this phase of the journey finishes at Haast Pass, and I’m excited to see what the next few months will bring.


One Comment on “Four nights in the wild

  1. Im allgemeinen bin ich ja nicht neidisch, aber ein kleines bischen von Eurem Flair,
    würde ich gerne erfahren dürfen. Die Zeit vergeht im Fluge ,die meisten Wintertage habt Ihr wohl hinter Euch. Zu der himmlischen Landschaft ,dann der zarte Frühlingsduft—das muß unheimlich berauschend sein. Bei uns ist der Sommer abrupt zum Herbst übergegangen. Die Natur ist hier auch sehr erhebend, trotzdem ist es verlockender
    die warme Jahreszeit noch vor sich zu wissen.
    Genießt weiterhin Euer Abenteuer mit den Kindern.Egon, der gerade bei uns weilt, läßt auch schön grüßen. Bis bald ,alles Gute und Küßchen von Oma und Opa

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: